Friday, July 27, 2018

The Bones of a Story

Howdy Strangers,

So, in the last year, I discovered a simply magical technique for planning the plots of novels -- the outline. It is something that I never would have dreamed of when first starting to write. How would I know where the story was going that early? But honestly, using a few simple techniques to map the plot, my story telling has vastly improved.


I prefer to read and write character driven stories, so my style may be vastly different from yours or others, but I generally do as follows.


After I design my characters and world, I sit down and map out my character arcs. Where are my characters at the beginning, and how are they going to change by the end of the novel? Does Kyran have trust issues and run away from his problems, leaving others to handle them for him? Well, how can I change him by the end of the novel so that he faces his problems and, just maybe, at least partially overcome his trust issues? With more than one protagonist, Frostfire has the bonus added that both characters bring issues to the table that complicate each other's issues and help enrich the plot.


So, with character arcs laid out, and knowing the sorts of things I need to make these changes come about, I can get to what I call the Christmas tree, the thing I can "hang" these arcs off of. The plot vehicle if you will. It is usually something action orientated, something stressful for the characters. A demon that is hunting the characters, a crazy baddie with a vengeance streak, etc. This supplies a much of the momentum to take the characters forward and creates opportunities for them to change in response -- for better or worse.


Then, there is the last little touch -- the overarching plot goal. It is usually something like "Kyran and Barrett improve their relationship", some broadly arching goal that the plot and characters are striving to reach.


I then take all of those elements and start roughing out a chapter by chapter outline for the novel. Even if things start changing as I start writing the novel, as I come up with better ways of tackling issues, I find it immensely easier to have a rough direction I am working towards than starting with a blank slate, especially when I am writing with a second person. It let's Lauren know what I am thinking and where we are trying to steer the ship of our narrative. 


Have a different method? Share it with us. We would love to hear other ways writers accomplish their craft.


Until next time,

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment